We got confirmation that Elder Buyers has arrived in Uganda! Emails started coming in around 4:30 this morning. I'm not going to post all of each of the letters, just mainly the important stuff.
-----------------------------------
It was a 44 hour flight here and I guess my president wasn't happy. It shouldn't have taken that long but oh well. During our 9 hour layover in Heathrow we got really bored so we decided to head into London. We only really had time to see Buckingham Palace but it was still cool. It was a 45 min "tube"/subway ride to get there which wasn't too fun.
I guess my Mission President was expecting us to come in on Tuesday with the rest of our brothers from S. Africa. Lets just say there was nobody at the airport when we first arrived. They were there in a couple hours though. After that we went to the President's house and had dinner and got our assignments. I got assigned to Lira zone which is the second farthest zone, still in Uganda, from the mission home. It's out a ways in the more rural area. That's fine with me because the city was too busy. You know in the movies where the streets are packed with cars and there are motorcycles (bodas) weaving in and out of cars and stuff. Yeah that is legit, no Hollywood exaggeration there. haha. It's rained both days I've been in Lira and both times the power went out for a few hours. Its pretty cool though. All of Uganda is REALLY green! I love it.
So far I like it here. The food is actually really good and it hasn't made me sick... yet. haha. It's really hard to understand the people because of the accent and I have to talk with an accent or they can't really understand me. I did talk a little bit with a person on the flight from Jo-brug to Entebbe and I gave here a pass along card as well. The internet is really slow here. I talked about losing power and stuff, fun fact for ya, the power went out again when I was writing this email. haha.
My trainer is Elder Cobabe. He's a pretty cool guy. He's from Salt lake. Been out 14 months. Yesterday we went to church for the first time and I had to get up a bear my testimony.
I forgot the lizards. They are everywhere.
Most of the pictures I am sending are the MTC but there are a few from London and a few from Lira.
| His room in the "pink house" |
| Elder Buyers & His companion Elder Voracek |
|
How much time do you have and how much does it cost you to use the computer?
Elder Grilliot was in Lira for a while so we already know some about that area from his blog {view here}. He and three others lived in a pink house so I am assuming you are in the same place. Two Branches on opposite sides of the town. Water filters. Microwave. Members doing laundry for 5000 whatever the money is there.
| Photo via Elder Grilliot's Blog |
Yeah I am in the pink house. We have 2 hours but since the power went out it takes a bit longer. It cost 2000 shillings for 2 hours. The exchange is a 2500 to 1 USD. Things are really cheap here. Yeah there are 2 branches and each branch has 4 missionaries. We are Adyel 2 area. every house has a good filter system for drinking water but all other water in the house is bad. at this house i guess we have people do our laundry which will be nice.
No comments:
Post a Comment