Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Welcome.. Opening His Mission Call

Elder Buyers has asked me, his sister, to set up a blog to keep everyone up to date with how his mission is going. Before we start posting updates and such I thought it would be nice to share when he opened his mission call. Here is the post I wrote for my blog on February 19th, the day after he opened his mission call.

-------------------------------

Last night was a very emotional night for our family.

Two weeks ago my little brother sent in his papers requesting to go on a mission for the church. Friday his mission call came in but they were out of town so he didn't get to open it until last night.

This is a pretty big deal. Everyone comes over, they put a big map up on the wall and everyone gets to pick where they think he is going to go. Aside from the 20-30 people that they had at their house last night, they had me on FaceTime, my brother's old (as in no longer, not as in age just to clarify) young men's leader who no longer lives in the area on Skype and my Uncle on a cell phone. I've been told someone recorded it, but I haven't gotten the video yet, I'll post it when I do.

So.. where will Elder Buyers be going??

Dear Elder Buyers,
You are hereby called to serve as a missionary of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
You are assigned to labor in the Uganda Kampala Mission.

That's right people.. He's going to Africa!!

I'm not even going to try to pretend that I wasn't crying through the whole thing. As soon as he opened the envelope and read "Dear Elder Buyers," he started crying and I'm sure everyone else did too. This is something that he has been looking forward to and working towards his whole life. He thought that he was going to have to wait another year {until he was 19} but the church changed the age to 18 and he was able to put his papers in earlier.

He has to be to the Missionary Training Center (MTC) on July 10th and he will be gone for two years! He gets to check email once a week and only gets to call/Skype home on Christmas and Mother's Day. Our family is very close and he's never been away from home, especially this far away from home, for this long before. It's going to be an adjustment for our whole family, but an amazing adventure for him. 

I am so excited for him and I know that he is going to make an amazing missionary! While I'm going to miss him like crazy, I can't wait to hear about all the amazing memories that he is going to make.


No comments:

Post a Comment